Filed under: Estates
The Toutorsky Mansion has to be one of the most interesting properties in Washington D.C. It's a brick-and-limestone neo-Belgian mansion built in the 1890s for Supreme Court justice, Henry Billings Brown. Brown occupied the house until he died in 1913. The home later operated as the Persian Legation and then as the headquarters of the American Zionist Organization. After that it was bought by Basil and Maria Toutorsky and operated as the Toutorsky Academy of Music.In 1988 it was donated to the Peabody Conservatory of Music at The John Hopkins University but sold a few years later. Lately the 17,000 square-foot home has served as a bed and breakfast with five guest rooms. The mansion is full of beautiful carved wood griffins, crystal chandeliers, monumental fireplaces and stained glass details. It is now listed for sale for $5.75 million.
Gallery: Toutorsky Mansion