Bulleit Shoots a New Premium Rye Into the Market
Rye is on the rise, especially with bartenders who seem to have rediscovered it in the last couple of years. But rising popularity is still relative. Heaven Hill, for example, says it can produce a year's worth of its Rittenhouse Rye in about a day. Some of the popularity and increased consumption is coming about because of new brands and expressions, though, like Jim Beam's Ri1.
Straight rye whiskey must have at least a 51 percent rye mashbill. But Bulleit Rye is 95 percent with the remaining 5% from malted barley. That contrasts with Bulleit Bourbon, which is just 28 percent rye.
Tom Bulleit, founder of the brand, says he has been working on the rye for seven years. The company says that it sources its rye from Germany, Sweden, Canada and the United States. Bulleit Bourbon is made at the Lawrenceburg, Kentucky, Four Roses Distillery.
Bulleit Rye is aged in new, white-oak barrels that are charred to the maximum #4 level, says the company, before being filled. The whiskey is bottled at 90 proof (45 percent alcohol by volume), the same as Bulleit Bourbon. And the suggested retail price is $27.99.