Tulip Hill, Estate of the Day
Often we see newer homes going up for auction but today's estate, Tulip Hill in Anne Arundel County, Maryland dates back to before the Revolutionary War. Tulip Hill is a Georgian plantation house built by Samuel Galloway circa 1756. It is on nearly 52 acres that includes water frontage and pier and includes terraced gardens and manicured grounds.
Wings were added to the house between 1787-1790 enlarging Tulip Hill into its final and present five-part form by appending the two end wings and a pair of connecting hypens. The plantation house remained in the possession of the Galloway family until 1886. The five-part composition has a full stone basement under the entire structure. The central block is two full stories with a high unfinished attic and double hipped roof. The two brick end wings, built at right angles to the main axis are two stories of lower height than the main house. Both have gabled roofs with a single chimney located in the center of the outer side walls. The two brick connecting hyphens are one story with very low attic space and are covered with gable roofs that have small dormers. A whimsical note can be found on the pediment of the porch which is supported by four columns and contains a carved figure of Cupid. The fireplaces in the central block are faced with either Dutch tile or marble and are framed with wood paneling. The doors, paneling, floorboards, and stair treads are of pine and most of the hardware is original. The house was little altered during the nineteenth century and has never undergone extensive restoration. You don't get much more American authentic than this beauty.
It is being auctioned off on April 10 by Concierge Auctions. It was previously offered for $7.5 million and will have a suggested opening bid of $1.65 million.