Eat Pizza on Your Fine China and Other New Year's Resolutions
So often New Year's resolutions seem to be about the things that no one wants to do: lose weight, go to the gym, spend less money or quit smoking or drinking. Here is a little different take on how to approach 2010; remember to keep your luxury items in good shape and stop saving all the better things in your life for special occasions.
Last but not least, if you are fortunate enough to have a luxury lifestyle: count your blessings, enjoy and use your beautiful possessions, share your life with friends and family, and give very generously to those who are less fortunate.
Happy New Year!
- Use your fine china. If you can stomach it, turn your special occasion plates into your every day dishes. This same attitude can apply to your fine crystal too. Really both can be put in the dishwasher on the fine china and crystal setting as we reported earlier this year.
- Clean your diamond jewelry and make sure you get out of the house enough to wear it. If you have pearls examine them and decide if they need to be restrung.
- Keep your Manolos, Jimmy Choos and any other designer shoes in shape. Bring them into your local shoe repair and have soles attended to, broken straps fixed and scuffs polished away. You can bring your fine leather goods, such as handbags in for the same treatment.
- Drink champagne, not just on New Year's Eve, buy a case and open a bottle at least once a month.
- If you have a wine collection go through it and make a list of the bottles that are properly aged. Invite friends over and open your wine when it is in its prime. If you don't have a collection start one.
- Plan a nice vacation and make the time in your life to take one or two with the people who are most important to you.
- Buy new socks and underwear. Upgrade and look for the nicest undergarments you can find. If you enjoy matching sets buy one for each day of the week.
- Replenish your fine stationery supply. Make sure you have plenty of notes on hand to thank all the people who are going to give you great gifts or invite you for the weekend in 2010!
- If you have a watch collection, rotate the watch you wear weekly. Even if they are valuable, take them out of the leather storage box and enjoy. Time passes quickly.
- Keep your silver polished. If you need to, set aside a day a month to check on silver frames, platters, candle sticks and flatware to see if tarnish has accumulated. If it has, use a cloth or polish handy so that if you decide to use your silver it is ready at a moments notice.
- Cook with luxury ingredients, have special vinegars, truffle oil, saffron and other delicacies in your pantry.
- Go out for dinner. At least occasionally try a high-end restaurant in your area. If it has a sommelier have them recommend a wine you've never tried before. Ask them give you the label to take home at the end of the evening, it is an easy way to keep track of new wines you enjoy.
- If you have fine rugs, have them properly repaired and cleaned.
- Get a massage it can be good for your health.
- If you have a beautiful home, or a special bottle of scotch, invite people over and entertain. Life is better when shared with friends.
Happy New Year!