Ten Tips for Getting the Most out of Your Massage
Want to get the most from your massage? The American Massage Therapy Association suggests ten tips to achieve a positive experience.
1. Be as receptive and open to the massage process as possible.
2. Don't eat just before a massage session. Let your body digest first.
3. Be on time.
4. Take off only as much clothing as you are comfortable removing. Otherwise, wear clothing that will be comfortable during the massage and will allow the massage therapist to touch and move the areas of your body you expect will need to be massaged.
5. Communicate with your massage therapist before the session, providing accurate health information. Let the massage therapist know your expectations and reasons for the massage. If you are allergic to any oils, lotions or powders, tell your massage therapist, who can choose a substitute. Report any discomfort and give feedback during the massage on the amount of pressure, speed of hand movement, etc.
6. Breathe normally. This helps facilitate relaxation.
7. Relax your muscles and your mind.
8. Drink extra water after your massage.
9. Don't get up too quickly and do allow for some open, quiet time after your massage session. If you're dizzy or light headed after the massage, do not get off the table too fast. It also may take a little time to integrate or absorb the results of the massage session.
10. Be prepared to schedule several massage sessions, as massage has its greatest benefits over time.To find a professional massage therapist, go to the Find a Massage Therapist Locator Service at www.findamassagetherapist.org.