Hotels Get Creative While Going Green
There have always been lots of things to consider when making traveling plans, and these days there's at least one more thing to add to the list: how "green" is the hotel you plan to stay in?
Thankfully, with more and more hotels going green in recent years it's getting easier to find somewhere to stay that's environmentally friendly. Some things, like encouraging guests to reuse towels to installing low-flow shower heads, are getting to be fairly standard efforts. But others are getting a little more creative with things like:
- Putting designer recycle bins in individuals rooms
- Switching to all organic menus
- Offering incentives to employees who carpool to work
- Routing undrinkable water to irrigate nearby golf courses
- Offering parking incentives to guests who drive hybrid vehicles
- Switching to non-toxic and organic cleaning supplies
- Donating unused amenity bottles to local charities
- Sending half-used bars of soap to companies who use them to make cleaning products
- Recycling used coffee grounds as golf course tee-off mounds.