Epicurious is offering up
a couple of tips for the must-have bottles for your bar this holiday season. Spirits are a little more - dare we say it? - spirited and make the season more festive than another bottle of time will. They say that "stocking your liquor cabinet is the gift that keeps on giving" which is at least true until you run out and the party is over. The top picks for the season are:
- Bourbon: sweet and a must-have for eggnog. Try the Wild Turkey line of Kentucky Straight Bourbon (101 Proof, $23)or the A.H. Hirsch 16-Year-Old Pot-Stilled Straight Bourbon Whiskey ($75)
- Scotch: fruity and woody flavors are very Christmasy. Try Glenmorangie 12-Year-Old Burgundy Wood Finish ($50) or the Caol Ila 12-Year-Old ($40)
- Rum: clear, light rums are perfect for mixing into punch. Try Don Q Cristal ($16),or Mount Gay Eclipse ($18).
- Brandy: warming on its own and great in a Sidecar. Rémy Martin Fine Champagne VSOP ($25) or Boulard Pays D'Auge Grand Solage ($35)
- Eau-de-Vie: light and fruity, ideal for accompanying desserts. Forget partridges and stick with pear flavors, like Fassbind Poire William ($49)